Code of Conduct
FLEET UK CODE OF CONDUCT
Fleet UK are a credit broker and not a lender, we are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered No : 682714 Registered in England & Wales with company number : 4018111 | Data Protection No : Z6393738 | VAT No : 755080825 Registered Office : 7 Stratfield Park, Elettra Avenue, Waterlooville, Hampshire PO7 7XN Disclaimer: All vehicle images and descriptions are for illustration and reference purposes only, all vehicle leases are subject to credit approval and subject to change at any time. E&OE. Copyright © 2021 Fleet UK, All rights reserved.
We follow the guidance set out in the FCA handbook, download the FCA handbook (www.handbook.fca.org.uk).
The British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association (BVRLA)
If you are dealing with a BVRLA member company then you can be safe in the knowledge that you will receive a professional service. The Codes of Conduct stipulate the standards to which the BVRLA expects its members to adhere to. This applies to all aspects of their business and operational procedures. Adherence to the Codes is mandatory for membership and breaches of this Code can result in members being stripped of their BVRLA membership.
When you deal with a BVRLA member, you can expect:
- Support throughout the duration of your contract
- In the event that you are dissatisfied, a complaints process that is fair and reasonable
- Appropriate post-contract information so that you have a full understanding of your commitments when leasing. This will also help you understand how to avoid any unnecessary problems.
- Fair end of contract procedures
- Staff will be adequately qualified and have the required knowledge to meet your requirements
- You will receive clear and transparent information
This is only a brief introduction to their role as a trade body. However, the main point to be aware of is that the BVRLA have strict standards and want to uphold the integrity of the rental and leasing sector. Therefore, customer satisfaction and appropriate support are of utmost importance.
The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
The FCA are the most important body for regulating how customers are treated with regard to the sales of financial products. In car leasing, there are various types of leasing and finance options. So it’s important that you get the right products for your needs. It’s even more important that you do not get misadvised or given incorrect recommendations.
The FCA have 3 statutory objectives:
- To protect regulated customers - you are regulated if you are an individual, a sole trader or in a partnership with up to 3 partners
- To protect the integrity of the financial industry
- To promote effective competition in the interest of consumers
So, what does this mean for you?
If you deal with an FCA regulated business, you can be reassured that they will be expected to comply with the ‘Treating Customers Fairly Principles’. These include:
- Ensuring advice is suitable for your needs
- Providing the correct product
- The product performs to your expectation
- No unreasonable post sale barriers
- Clear and transparent information
- Products are designed and promoted to meet the needs of the consumers
How does this help you with your purchase?
By dealing with an FCA regulated business, you can be confident and know that misselling is strictly against the culture of that business.
To become FCA regulated, the company must prove that treating customers fairly is central to their company culture. They must also provide adequate resources to meet customers’ needs. They will also have a complaints policy that meets the requirements of the FCA. Therefore, you can be reassured that any complaint and dispute will be taken seriously and handled with care. If you are dissatisfied with your response, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service and they will investigate on your behalf. If it is deemed that you have not been treated fairly, the FCA can enforce a penalty for the business and stipulate compensation for you.
If you are leasing for the first time, you may be concerned about paying more than necessary. Or maybe you are worried you won’t get the best deal or advice. You may also be worried that you may not get all the information you need. We understand this, car leasing can be very daunting. If you deal with an FCA regulated company, they will be audited frequently and must provide you with clear and transparent information. Penalties for not doing so can be large financial sums or even imprisonment. So, you can be assured that if you are dealing with a company that is regulated by the FCA, they will have strict guidelines to follow and you are protected.
So, if you are wondering which companies to trust and who is reputable, then you should check for the above memberships and accreditations. You should find these on the company’s websites and if not, ask when you speak to us.